Welcome to the AERA Special Interest Group for Research in Mathematics Education.
SIG RME Happenings
JRME Mentorship Program
We have an opportunity for SIG-RME members who are doctoral and post-doctoral scholars.
The JRME Editorial Panel is piloting a program to mentor doctoral and post-doctoral scholars in the manuscript review process. As a first step in the process, SIG RME is surveying its membership to recruit interested scholars.
We will provide additional information about the mentorship program in the future.
SIG-RME Conference Central
Click here to learn more about the SIG-RME events during the AERA conference.
Announcements / Call for Papers
- 16th International Conference of the Mathematics Education for the Future Project will be held August 8–13, 2022 at King’s College, Cambridge University, UK. Deadlines are August 21, 2021 (abstracts) and November 30, 2021 (papers). For conference updates and more information see https://directorymathsed.net/kings-conference/.
- Danny Martin, Luz Valoyes-Chávez, and Paola Valero are serving as guest editors of the special issue in Educational Studies in Mathematics “Race, Racism and Racialization in Mathematics Education: Global perspectives”. Please consider contributing to this special issue (click here for more information).
- Travel grants are available from the Association for Women in Mathematics – deadlines: Feb 1, May 1, Oct 1 every year (click here for more information).
2021 AERA SIG-RME Board Nomination Announcement
We invite nominations for several positions for the AERA SIG Research in Mathematics Education board. The SIG-RME board serves a two-year term and if interested, we will need a biography (250-word max) to be printed in the fall newsletter. For sample bios refer to past fall newsletters (http://sigrme.org/newsletters/). Information about the available board positions, nomination process, and procedures are below. Please send nomination materials electronically no later than October 27, 2021 to Nicole Fletcher at email@example.com.
Co-Chair – The co-chair serves for two years, first as the junior and then senior co-chair. The senior co-chair presides over meetings of the executive board and at the membership during the SIG annual business meeting. In addition, each co-chair has specific duties related to conference organization. During the first year of service, the co-chair’s primary responsibility involves liaising with the NCTM Research Committee to plan the NCTM Research Conference, including determining speakers for the opening and plenary addresses. During the second year of service, the co-chair’s responsibilities include: general administration of the SIG-RME, serving as the program chair for the SIG-RME sessions for the AERA annual meeting, and liaising between the SIG and AERA.
Treasurer – The Treasurer has two primary duties: (1) Keeping the financial accounts updated and (2) Authorizing and Coordinating payment for various expenses. Important examples of expenses include: SIG business meeting at AERA, SIG/RME speaker at NCTM, Early Career and Senior Scholar Awards, STaR fellows, as well as processing reimbursements for SIG related expenses, as needed. The treasurer writes a brief annual financial report for the newsletter and for the SIG business meeting.
Awards – The Awards Board Member is responsible for managing the process for soliciting nominations for awards and serving on the committee to decide on award recipients. The Awards Board Member is responsible for coordinating the award events at NCTM and the SIG/RME at AERA.
Nominating Process and Election Procedures
Nominations for the SIG/RME Executive Board shall be solicited from the membership. The current Executive Board shall select from those nominated and eligible for election a slate of six candidates, two for each position to be filled. Candidates who agree to stand for election shall provide brief (one paragraph) biographies to the Electronics Board Member. The biographies shall be distributed in the Fall Newsletter. All election processes and tabulation of votes for designated officer positions for the following year shall be completed within the timeline and by the deadline established by AERA in conducting its electronic election of Officers of the Association. The membership shall be notified of the election results in the Winter Newsletter.
If you have any updates for the website please email them to Nicole Fletcher.
- 2020 AERA Conference (click here to read the entire statement)
- Affirming Critical Scholars in Mathematics Education Academic (click here to read the entire statement)
Follow us and stay connected!